The impact of improvements in treatment evidence is compromised if the medicines used in treatment are substandard or falsified (SF) and negate much of the benefits of modern health care. We will expand our innovative and multidisciplinary work to try to answer key gaps in the evidence base to inform policy and interventions.
The MORU Network's Medicine Quality research plans include:
- Forensic epidemiology of substandard and falsified antimicrobials
- Expand modelling to better understand the relationship between medicine quality and antimicrobial resistance.
- Establish an accredited Medicine Quality Analysis Laboratory to perform routine analysis, build south-south technical capacity in medicines analysis, forensic analysis and a platform for the evaluation of the diagnostic accuracy, quantitation and cost-effectiveness of innovative medicine quality screening devices.
- Pioneer research on optimal public engagement for ‘outbreaks’ of SF medicines and explore how to optimally engage with policy makers.
- Continue our annual Medicine Quality & Public Health Courses (including starting a Francophone course) and MQPH Conference every two years to encourage engagement and collaboration
Medical Product Quality Report – COVID-19 Issues.
With the recent emergence of COVID-19, there has been a growing number of reports of substandard and falsified (SF) personal protective equipment, diagnostic tests, medicines, and vaccines. With the Medical Product Quality Report - COVID-19 issues, we are starting a system for reporting all that we can find in the public domain on substandard and falsified COVID-19 medical product problems. We plan to issue these reports every month hereafter as an aid to regulators, health workers, policy makers and international organisations, across the global health spectrum, in their understanding of the issues that we face.
Data in the report are from scientific literature, public alerts and warnings, and the lay press. We included especially information from our Medicine Quality Monitoring Globe, a free-to-use online tool that maps news reports worldwide of substandard and falsified medical products.
Your can download our Medical Product Quality Report - COVID-19 issues, either the full report (with annexes), or the smaller file with main text only (without annexes)