Improving the management of critical illness in resource-limited setting can save many lives. Intensive Care Units become increasingly available in Asia and in the context of the Wellcome Trust Innovations Flagship Programme we have recently established a large ICU network in nine Asian countries.
MORU’s main Critical Care research topics include:
- Implementation of an electronic registry in the ICU network, which will provide epidemiological data and allows for benchmarking quality of care.
- Quantitative and qualitative assessments of quality of care in the ICU network, which will feed into quality improvement interventions.
- Large multicenter trials are currently planned, covering studies on infection prevention, lung-protective mechanical ventilation, fluid management in sepsis, and others.
- Translation of ICU guidelines developed in high-income countries to the resource-limited setting.
- Piloting novel low cost monitoring and imaging techniques in collaboration with OUCRU