Malaria is historically an important research focus of MORU, and results from close collaboration between many MORU departments. We have a dedicated laboratory for malaria research as well as a laboratory for molecular malariology. Clinical studies are performed in a wide network of clinical trial sites in Asia and Africa.
The MORU Tropical Health Network’s main malaria research topics include:
- Approaches to malaria elimination
- The genetics, biology and epidemiology of antimalarial drug resistance
- The treatment of multidrug resistant falciparum malaria
- Pathobiology, treatment and management of severe falciparum malaria
- Radical treatment of vivax malaria
- Development of a Plasmodium vivax Controlled Human Infection Models