Dr Audrey Dubot-Peres
Infections such as dengue and Japanese encephalitis are important problems in Laos but confirmed data are lacking, particularly from outside the capital Vientiane. Rapid diagnostic tests that can be kept at tropical room temperature help better diagnosis and treatment, and also inform policy to implement vaccination programmes.
Head of Virology
The program “Viral infections of medical importance in Laos” is conducted in collaboration with the unit: UMR "Unité des Virus Emergents" (UVE: Aix-Marseille Univ – IRD 190 – Inserm 1207 – IHU Méditerranée Infection), Marseille, France.
Viral infections (Japanese encephalitis, dengue, acute respiration infection, gastro-enteritis, hand foot and mouth disease…) represent a major public health burden in Laos and important challenge for patient management. Medical issues are combined with diagnostic difficulties and lack in epidemiological data. The main focus of this program is to develop research by structuring our activities around the implementation of research projects on emerging viral disease and building capacity at the Microbiology Laboratory at Mahosot Hospital, Vientiane, Laos.
Central nervous system (CNS) infections
- Causes of CNS infections in patient admitted to Mahosot Hospital, aetiologies, epidemiology and treatment.
- Adaptation of techniques for CSF transportation and diagnosis from remote areas.
- Molecular epidemiology of enteroviruses circulating in Laos.
Dengue and arboviruses
- Undifferentiated fever, aetiologies and their epidemiology.
- Molecular epidemiology of Dengue virus circulating in Laos.
- Development of tools for sample collection from remote rural areas for subsequent molecular analysis.
Acute respiratory infections
- Acute respiratory infections in children admitted to Mahosot Hospital, aetiologies, epidemiology and risk factors.
- Importance of Respiratory Syncytial Virus infections in young children admitted with pneumonia.
Bharucha T. et al, (2020), International Journal of Infectious Diseases, 95, 444 - 456
Vongsouvath M. et al, (2020), The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene, 102, 1244 - 1248
Rattanavong S. et al, (2020), PLoS neglected tropical diseases, 14
Thirion L. et al, (2020), Viruses, 12
Pettersson JH-O. et al, (2019), Diagnostic microbiology and infectious disease, 95